Conversations about Our World
Join University of Oregon faculty, Dr. Arafaat A. Valiani (Associate Professor, History | Sociology | Global Health), Dr. Sangita Gopal (Associate Professor, Cinema Studies), and Dr. Bish Sen (Associate Professor, School of Journalism and Communication) for a speakers series during spring term 2021. All events will be held virtually and feature conversations between faculty and speakers from the University of Oregon community and beyond. Topics include Indigenous arts, global communications after Covid, and identity in Asian and Asian Studies, and more.
Recordings are also available on the event website after sessions conclude.
Session One: The Power of Indigenous Stories and Art
Friday, April 9 | 2:00 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. (PST)
- Michelle M. Jacob (Yakama), Professor of Indigenous Studies, College of Education, University of Oregon
- Crystal L. Buck (Yakama), Artist
Session Two: Changing Geopolitics of Global Communication in a Post-Covid World
Wednesday, April 28 | 6:00 p.m. – 6:45 p.m. (PST)
- Bish Sen, Associate Professor, School of Journalism and Communication, University of Oregon
- Daya Thussu, Professor of International Communication, Hong Kong Baptist University
Session Three: Identity, Ambivalence, Homecoming: Travels Between Asian and Asian American Studies
Thursday, May 13 | 5:00 p.m. – 5:45 p.m. (PST)
- Roy Chan, Associate Professor, Chinese, Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures
- Andrew Way Leong, Assistant Professor, Department of English, UC Berkeley
Session Four: TBA
This event series is co-sponsored by UO Sociology in cooperation with many others. Please see the event website for a full list of sponsors. For questions or more information, please contact Program Coordinator, Kylie Yihua Post at firstname.lastname@example.org.