Sociology Snippets – Spring 2022, Week 4
|Sociology Snippets: Spring 2022, Week 4
I hope you are enjoying the (changing) weather and your classes this term.
The contents of this message include:
1. The SAIL (Summer Academy to Inspire Learning) program is hiring counselors to lead our in-person programs this summer! We are hiring for ~40 staff members and our pay rate starts at $13.50 per hour. This position is flexible and offers 3 different shifts for students to work (Day, Evening, and Night Shift).
SAIL staff work as liaisons and mentors for 8th – 12th grade students from various Oregon high schools participating in our week-long experiential learning summer camp hosted on the UO campus. Through this position, college students gain experience in facilitation, supervision, and time management. SAIL Summer Staff members are First Aid certified and enjoy networking opportunities with many faculty and staff members across various UO disciplines that volunteer their time to operate the SAIL program.
· All Staff Orientation: Friday, May 20th
· Staff Training: July 25th – 30th, 2022
· Program Dates: July 31st – August 12, 2022
Apply on our website: 2022 SAIL Summer StaffLinks to an external site.
Apply on Handshake: 2022 SAIL Summer Staff
2. UO’s CURE (Center for Undergraduate Research and Engagement) Undergraduate Summer Research funding opportunities (SURF and FYRE)
CURE Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) and First-Year Research Experience (FYRE) awards fund for full-time undergraduate summer research conducted under the mentorship of a UO faculty.
· SURF offers $4000 funding
· FYRE provides $4000 student funding ($1000 for the faculty mentor).
· The application is now open with deadlines of April 25th (for SURF) and April 27th (for FYRE).
· CURE also provides funding (up to $500) to undergraduate students who will present their research at a professional conference.
· Undergraduate students conducting research in all academic fields are welcome to apply.
· Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Talk sponsored by CSWS: Niki DeRosa, Education Studies, “Helping Mom and Helping the Community:
Friday, April 29, 2022 • 12-1 p.m. via Zoom
Talk description: “In this talk I will share perspectives and reflections on the lives and futures from a group of immigrant high-school students in the southwest U.S. We will dive into the ways in which gender is highlighted and elided in student visions of individual and communal success and happiness.”
1. Operation Groundswell: Go Backpacking with a Purpose
Learn from activists and organizations around the world inspiring change in their communities. Get back out into the world and meet it with confidence.
At Operation Groundswell, we connect you with our friends in faraway places who are working towards social and environmental justice in their communities. In small groups led by fun-lovin’ Program Leaders, we’ll dive into life on the ground and learn about how we can work towards a more just and sustainable world through travel.
Apply today to take advantage of Financial Assistance Grants, which can cover up to 25% of your program fee.
START YOUR JOURNEY AT www.operationgroundswell.com