Sociology Snippets – Week 8, Spring 2022
|This seems to be the season of a host of on campus events. A few that sociology is sponsoring or we think you’ll find interesting are highlighted below. We are also re-launching the Soc Club — details below.
The contents of this message include:
UO SOCIOLOGY CLUB
UO SOCIOLOGY CLUB
The Peer Leaders are re-launching the Sociology Club! The Soc Club Re-Launch meeting will be in the Diamond Lake Room (EMU 119) on Monday May 23rd 4:30-5:30pm. Snacks provided. Zoom option available–join Soc Club on Engage for updates and Zoom link.
1. Book Talk by UO Soc Faculty Krystale Littlejohn: “Just Get on the Pill: The Uneven Burden of Reproductive Politics“
Wednesday, May 25 at 12:00pm to 2:00pm
Refreshments will be provided. The first 20 people will receive a free copy of the book.
https://gsi.uoregon.edu/events-workshops 2. Talk by Raka Ray (UC Berkeley), “The Politics of Masculinity in the Absence of Work” The Center for the Study of Women in Society’s 2022 Acker-Morgen Memorial Lecture 3:30-5 p.m. Friday, May 20 • Ford Lecture Hall Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art 3. Annalise Gardella, Anthropology, “Otro Mundo Posible: Environmentalist Activism and Agroecology in El Salvador”
Noon-1 p.m. Wednesday, May 25, 2022
1. The SAIL (Summer Academy to Inspire Learning) program is hiring counselors to lead our in-person programs this summer! We are hiring for ~40 staff members and our pay rate starts at $13.50 per hour. This position is flexible and offers 3 different shifts for students to work (Day, Evening, and Night Shift).
SAIL staff work as liaisons and mentors for 8th – 12th grade students from various Oregon high schools participating in our week-long experiential learning summer camp hosted on the UO campus. Through this position, college students gain experience in facilitation, supervision, and time management. SAIL Summer Staff members are First Aid certified and enjoy networking opportunities with many faculty and staff members across various UO disciplines that volunteer their time to operate the SAIL program.
· All Staff Orientation: Friday, May 20th
· Staff Training: July 25th – 30th, 2022
· Program Dates: July 31st – August 12, 2022
Apply on our website: 2022 SAIL Summer Staff
Apply on Handshake: 2022 SAIL Summer Staff