Sociology Commencement 2019
When: June 17, 2019 at 4:00 PM
Where: Memorial Quad outside PLC
The first step for commencement is apply for your degree on Duckweb. If you will be completing all of your degree requirements by the end of spring term, apply for a spring degree. If you will be completing all of your degree requirements by the end of summer term, apply for a summer degree. If you will be finishing in fall 2019, apply for a fall degree. You will still be eligible to participate in the June commencement as a summer or fall graduate.
Next, we need to know whether you will be attending the Sociology commencement ceremony or not. If you are completing your degree this spring, summer or fall please complete the RSVP form here to let us know whether to expect you at commencement. You can also contact Janea Pratt with any commencement questions that you have, or with any requests for special accommodations such as wheelchair placement.
Your guests for commencement do not require tickets, and there is no limit on the number of guests that may attend your ceremony.
Commencement regalia (cap and gown) are now available from the Duck Store. The Duck Store holds an event called Grad Fair each April. This year’s dates are April 8-11, 2019. On these days you may go to be fitted for gowns and ask questions about regalia. Students also receive a gift card when they pick up regalia during Grad Fair. If you miss Grad Fair, you can still get regalia. Visit or call the Duck Store for information.
• On June 17, 2019, the University is holding a Graduation Celebration beginning with an academic parade at 8:45 AM (seating begins in Matthew Knight Arena at 7:00 AM; tickets are free but required). Details regarding this celebration are available on the UO Commencement website. You are encouraged to participate in this parade. The Commencement website also has information on parking, photographs, cap and gown arrangements and has a full schedule of University events for Monday.
Here’s what to expect at Sociology’s ceremony:
• For the Sociology commencement celebration, please arrive at the a half hour early. Any guests requiring wheelchair placement should also plan to arrive a half hour early at the latest. There will be a covered ADA section with limited seating available for those guests who require it. Note that the ground surface will be grassy lawn, so wear appropriate footwear.
• We encourage you to wear your cap and gown (“regalia”) to the ceremony. Order the cap, gown, and diploma cover at the UO Duckstore, as well as any honor cords and tassels. Note: the tassel is worn on the right side of the cap and is switched to the left side after the entire graduating class has been presented; you will be instructed when to “flip the tassel.” Wearing regalia is not mandatory. If finances are determining whether or not you can get regalia, contact Janea Pratt in the Sociology office.
• Upon arriving at the Memorial Quad, proceed to the marked registration area and pick up (or fill in) your name card at the registration table. Your name will be read when you are presented with your diploma. Double check the phonetic spelling of your name (given by you when you RSVP) shown on your card.
• You will be directed to a graduate waiting area, to wait to line up with the other graduates. Take your name card with you.
• You will then line up for the processional to your reserved seating area. The order is: faculty, then graduate students, then students in the honors program, and finally all other students in whichever order you prefer. Yes, you may sit with your friends! At TBA the entry music will start and the entire line of students will be formally guided to the seating area.
• Once you are seated, there will be a short program which includes introductions and speakers. Students receiving special honors will be recognized, as well as Master’s and PhD candidates, followed by the presentation of diploma covers to each undergraduate. The actual diploma will be mailed to you from the Registrar’s office; you should receive it several weeks after the ceremony.
Here’s what to expect when it’s time to stand up and cross the stage:
• The ushers will direct each row of graduates when to rise and proceed to the stage. Upon arriving at the stage, hand your name card to the Sociology volunteer at the base of the stage and wait. You will be told when to go up onto the stage. When it is time, walk across the stage to the department head (Professor Scott) who will present your diploma cover to you. Take the cover with your left hand, and shake hands with your right hand. A photographer will take your picture as you receive your diploma. Continue across the stage and off the far side. It is likely that another photographer will be set up to take your photo after you come off the stage. Please proceed through this area in an orderly manner.
• After departing the stage and the photo area, please return to your seat. At the closing of the ceremony, you will be instructed to “flip the tassel” to the left side of your cap.
• Be sure to get some photographs taken with your friends or with influential faculty members before you leave!
Again, warmest congratulations on your academic achievement. We wish you good luck in your future careers!