How to Apply
Application deadline for Fall 2019 admissions: January 15, 2019
Required Application Materials:
- UO online Graduate Application. The application fee is $70 ($90 international) and is payable by credit card or check. In some circumstances the fee can be waived.
- One set of official transcripts from all colleges or universities where you received a bachelor’s or any subsequent degrees. Please send by postal mail to the Office of Admissions, 1217 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-1217, or if your degree institutions offer official electronic copies you may have them sent to email@example.com directly from the institution. These are subject to review and verification of authenticity. If you have questions about which transcripts to submit, visit the Graduate School’s “How to Apply” page.
- A letter describing in detail your interests in the field of sociology and your career plans. The letter should discuss what academic or non-academic experiences most significantly contribute to the development of these interests and plans.
- One sample of your written work (paper, essay, research report, thesis, etc.).
- At least three letters of recommendation from former professors who are in a position to evaluate your potential for successful completion of the Ph.D. degree.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test scores sent from the testing center. The UO’s institution code is 4846; Sociology Department code is 2102.
- Non-native English Speakers: Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Use the UO code 4846 when routing your test score. Please read these important qualifications to make sure you complete the necessary requirements.
All materials must be in before the Admissions and Awards Committee will consider an application. Please contact the Graduate Coordinator, Sharon Kaplan, with any questions about the application process.