How to Apply
Deadline for graduate admissions materials: January 15th
You will need to submit online:
1. One (1) copy of academic transcripts from all schools attended. These transcripts must include your name and the school they are from. Electronic copies are submitted online with your application. Official copies will need to be sent to our department if you are admitted into the program.The Graduate School, however, requires official transcripts from degree granting institutions to be sent to the Office of Admissions upon applications.
Office of Admissions
1217 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1217
2. A letter describing in detail your interests in the field of sociology and your career plans. The letter should discuss what academic or non-academic experiences most significantly contribute to the development of these interests and plans.
3. One (1) sample of your written work (paper, essay, research report, thesis, etc.).
4. At least three (3) letters of recommendation from former professors who are in a position to evaluate your potential for successful completion of the Ph.D. degree.
5. A copy of your CV or resume.
6. The official results of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) are required. Ordinarily this test may be taken at the counseling center of the nearest college or university. You should take the exam no later than fall term, since it can take 5-8 weeks for the results to be sent to us, and the scores must reach the department by January 15th. The University of Oregon’s school code is 4846 and the department code is 2102. All of the above materials are submitted online via the online application except the GRE scores which should be sent directly to the department.
Applications that are still incomplete by January 15th have a considerably reduced probability of being acted on favorably. Applications for admission in winter or spring terms are ordinarily not accepted.
While the application fee is $70 ($90 international), in some circumstances that can be waived. More details can be found here: https://gradschool.uoregon.edu/applicationfeewaivers
All the following materials must be in before the Admissions and Awards Committee will consider an application. Please contact the Graduate Coordinator, Chris Blum, with any questions about the application process (email@example.com).