How to Apply
The application opens each year on September 15.
Fall 2023 application deadline: January 15, 2023
Required Application Materials:
- UO online Graduate Application. The application fee is $70 ($90 international) and is payable by credit card or check. In some circumstances the fee can be waived.
- Unofficial transcripts (all applicants). Upload unofficial transcripts from all colleges or universities previously attended as part of the online application. Unofficial transcripts should show all coursework taken to date and, if applicable, the title of the degree earned and the date the degree was conferred.
- Official transcripts (admitted applicants who accept offer). If you accept an admissions offer, you must submit official transcripts from all colleges or universities where you received a bachelor’s degree or higher to the Office of the Registrar, 5257 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403. If your degree institutions offer official electronic copies, you may have them sent to email@example.com directly from the institution. Official transcripts will be compared to the unofficial transcripts. If unofficial transcripts are later determined to be a forgery, or if official transcripts are not submitted, admission will be rescinded. In cases where documents are not issued in English, you must submit certified word-for-word English translations of all documents. More information.
- A letter describing in detail your interests in the field of sociology and your career plans. The letter should discuss what academic or non-academic experiences most significantly contribute to the development of these interests and plans.
- One sample of your written work (paper, essay, research report, thesis, etc.).
- At least three letters of recommendation from former professors who are in a position to evaluate your potential for successful completion of the Ph.D. degree.
- Non-native English Speakers: satisfy the English language proficiency requirement requirement. For the Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS), use UO code 4846 when routing your test score.
Optional Application Material for Fall 2023 Admission:
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test scores sent from the testing center. The UO’s institution code is 4846; Sociology Department code is 2102.
All materials must be in before the Admissions and Awards Committee will consider an application. Please contact the Graduate Coordinator, Sharon Kaplan, with any questions about the application process.