How to Apply
The application opens each year on October 15.
Fall 2021 application deadline: January 15, 2021
Required Application Materials:
- UO online Graduate Application. The application fee is $70 ($90 international) and is payable by credit card or check. In some circumstances the fee can be waived.
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities where you received a bachelor’s or any subsequent degrees sent to the Office of the Registrar, 5257 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403. In cases where documents are not issued in English, applicants must submit certified word-for-word English translations of all documents. If your degree institutions offer official electronic copies you may have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org directly from the institution. These are subject to review and verification of authenticity. More information.
- A letter describing in detail your interests in the field of sociology and your career plans. The letter should discuss what academic or non-academic experiences most significantly contribute to the development of these interests and plans.
- One sample of your written work (paper, essay, research report, thesis, etc.).
- At least three letters of recommendation from former professors who are in a position to evaluate your potential for successful completion of the Ph.D. degree.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test scores sent from the testing center. The UO’s institution code is 4846; Sociology Department code is 2102.
- Non-native English Speakers: Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Use the UO code 4846 when routing your test score. Please read these important qualifications to make sure you complete the necessary requirements.
All materials must be in before the Admissions and Awards Committee will consider an application. Please contact the Graduate Coordinator, Sharon Kaplan, with any questions about the application process.