UO Sociology alumna mentioned in Around the O

Shawna Heurgue, UO Sociology alumna and former Peer Leader, was featured in Around the O this week in a story about the surprisingly positive impact the pandemic had on her educational career:

The onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and shift to mostly remote instruction gave many students pause about starting, or returning, to college. Not Shawna Heurgue.

The Springfield mother of three had been struggling to transition into a new career after leaving her longtime job as an emergency room nurse. But the thought of returning to a college campus, surrounded by people 20 years younger than her, always felt daunting, Heurgue said.

So, when COVID arrived and the UO switched to remote learning, Heurgue jumped at the opportunity to kickstart her education, fully online, from the more comfortable setting of her bedroom.

“I thought, ‘This is my opportunity and I’m going to take it. I’m going to finally get my bachelor’s degree and I’m going to do it in a year,’” she said. “It just felt perfect.”

The full article is available on the Around the O website. Congratulations, Shawna, on all your accomplishments!